Saturday, March 21, 2009

Amazing Grac- uh - Grader?


One road on my route is a long, lonely dirt/gravel mess that has to be graded after every rain...and after weeks of no rain. The man who usually grades it is... well... you decide.
I was toodling along the other day, going about 20 mph, on the wrong side of the road (to stay out of the "graded-up rubbish"). I see the parked grader way up the road, the driver standing in the shade of it. As I slowly approach (trying to keep the dust to a minimum), he begins to flag me down. Oh, boy. Should I? Or, not? I have heard rumors about him. I decide to see if they are true. So I stop. Roll down my window just a bit (my doors are locked).
"Hello, there, ma'am," he says, and introduces himself. I look him over carefully from behind my sunglasses. He's an older fellow, long pointy nose, and bald head.
"On my lunch break, I work for Jesus. Can I talk to you about him and your soul?"
Yep! Rumors were true!
I smile. "Well, I appreciate the offer, but I already have a good relationship with Him."
"Well, praise the Lord! And you've been saved?"
I nodded.
"And you go to Sunday School and church like he wants us to do after we've been saved?"
I'm still nodding. And easing the Jeep forward, easing forward.
"Well, praise the Lord!" And he steps back into the shade of his road grader, his hands clasped and head bowed in prayer.
You know you are a RURAL mail carrier when you have been approached by a road-grading evangelist. God Is Truly Everywhere!

No comments: